Planning an Anxiety Friendly Trip to London


There's nothing I love more than having a jam packed day in London visiting all my favourite spots.  However, there is always the added complication that I become anxious in busy and crowded places and I'm sure I'm not the only person who struggles in that way.
I've reached a point in my recovery though where I am determined not to let any of the difficulties I face hold me back from doing the things I enjoy.
I would therefore like to share with you some of the things that have helped me to manage my anxiety in busy places like London in the hope that it will encourage others to do the same.
I'm also going to list some of my favourite places to visit in London so it may be useful generally in adding to your list of places to see list.

Have a clear plan of where you are going to go
I always find if I plan exactly where I'm going to go in advance, I can relax and enjoy the trip better.  I usually look up on the Transport For London website, what underground lines I'm going to have to use.  I write all the details down and bring them with me on my trip.  It can be a great comfort to have something written down just in case technology fails you when you're out.

Plan your visit for a time that is likely to be less busy
I don't think it matters whether you suffer from anxiety or not, nobody likes to be squashed like a sardine on the underground.  If you can avoid travelling in rush hour then do it.  It can make such a difference to your mood during the trip if you have had a pleasant journey.

Set yourself a challenge on the trip
For me my challenge has always been Oxford Street.  I had a bad experience where I ended up stranded there after someone stole my train ticket and I had to walk down it during rush hour!  I ended up having a panic attack :( I didn't let it put me off though as I have always been itching to check out some of the most talked about shops there.  So I built myself up to it - I walked down the street at a slightly quieter time with a friend - worked on my breathing and constantly reminded myself I had space around me.  After that, I felt comfortable enough to walk down Oxford Street on my own at a quieter time and I managed to go in a few stores.  I was so glad I did it as the new Lush store is incredible and I've now become a big fan of Forever 21.  As much as I am obsessed with Primark, the one on Oxford Street feels like a step too far for me at the moment but that's okay.  Even though it is important to challenge yourself in order to overcome anxiety, you have to strike the balance of not pushing yourself too hard too quickly.  So be kind to yourself and baby steps will get you there in the end.

Make the most of London's green spaces
I always like to balance my visits with a combination of taking in the sights and sounds and then having a bit of a break in a quiet corner of a London park - there are so many to choose from.  I sometimes take a book with me so that I can unwind a little bit before gearing myself up to hitting the city again.


  

I came across these gorgeous fountain in Hyde Park the last time I was there


There is no end of green space at Richmond Park and beautiful deer too


It's a little way out from central London but this park in Southgate is simply stunning.
It's become a bit of a special place for me as when I was in hospital following a mental health crisis I saw the park from my window but knew I wasn't allowed to go there. 
 I suppose I now associate the park with a sense of freedom.






Not exactly a green space but the futuristic looking garden at the V&A is a lovely relaxing place to have lunch and enjoy the trickles of the fountains.


Again, not a green space but I love having a bit of time out by the fountains in Trafalgar Square.
It is also one of the few places in London where the public toilets are free and fairly decent
(lovely piece of practical information!)

Head to the river for a bit of a breeze and some fresh air
When you get a bit fed up of having buildings towering over you, it can make a refreshing change to head to the river where there's always a bit of a breeze. It feels as though there's a bit more space when there some water separating out the landscape so make the most of it.


    









My all time favourite riverside area of London is Richmond.
I suppose for me it feels more like familiar territory as it reminds me of all the quaint little Sussex towns and villages near to where I live.  I love walking by the river and watching the planes fly low overhead.  Richmond is also quite a leafy area, the green is a lovely place to sit and with lots of interesting old buildings surrounding it.


 

Have a nose at the gorgeous painted houses of Nottinghill
The residential areas of London are always a lot quieter so if you are a bit nosy like me and have developed a bit of an obsession for painted houses then definitely give Nottinghill a visit and see how the other half live!

  
  

If you are feeling a bit braver...

On the edge of Nottinghill is Portobello Road with its famous street market.  It can get quite busy but is a quirky, interesting place to have a bit of a window shop.  I had always wanted to go there purely because of my childhood film 'Bedknobs and Broomsticks'.  If you haven't seen it then do! It will definitely make you want to visit Portobello Road but you may be disappointed when you don't see people singing and jigging around!

 

Explore the Mews of London
This is my current favourite pursuit in London.
After seeing some timeless shots of the cobbled mews on instablogs I was desperate to explore them myself.  There are mews absolutely everywhere in London, it's just a matter of looking on a map and when you walk down them it is almost like they form their own little oasis of calm, separated from the hustle and bustle of the city.
I highly recommend St Luke's Mews in Nottinghill...

  

There are also some very quaint and pretty mews in Chelsea.
Stepping through this arch was like stepping back in time, especially because of the old fashioned cars dotted around everywhere...



   



Chelsea in general has so many beautiful flower lined streets...

 

If you are looking for a quiet place to escape to in the evening and miss the rush hour then
 St Paul's Cathedral may be your sanctuary...
I didn't discover this until I found out from one of my lecturers at uni a few of years ago but you can go to St Paul's for free if you go to one of the services there.  If you go to the Evensong service you can enjoy the peaceful ambiance, listen to the choir, take in the amazing ceiling of the cathedral and escape the rush hour.  If churches and services are not usually 'your thing' don't let it put you off, it really isn't intimidating, you can come and go from the service at any point (people are always walking in and out).  It can just be a lovely, calm place to sit after a busy day in the city and it also gives you the opportunity to see inside the cathedral, which is certainly worth seeing!





This is all coming from a person who a couple of years ago would have a panic attack just opening her bedroom door at one stage.  Now I set out on adventures like this on my own and I appreciate the sense of freedom and achievement that it gives me.
There's a whole world out there for you explore so don't let anything hold you back from getting out there and seeing it for yourself.
Take it at a pace that you can enjoy.

If you suffer from anxiety I hope this post has given you a bit of encouragement to step out of your safety zone and explore some of the places you've been longing to see.
Whatever your reason for reading the post, if only to browse the pictures, I hope I have added to your list of places to see when you're next in the city.

Love and Strength,
The One Day Seeker

Comments

Popular Posts