2017 - This was My Year...


I have been absent on here for a good while, but this is something I have always done every year since starting my blog, so I was determined to at least attempt it.
I did start writing another blog post acting as a bit of an explanation/update, which I do plan to finish and post.  In short, I have not been in a very good place recently, though I do feel that I am starting to come out the other side of it.  I was feeling as though I didn't really have anything useful or constructive to share on here, hence my absence.  However, it has been my intention to make a fresh start with my blog in the New Year - something I am hopeful I can achieve.
I've suddenly realised that the above montage includes a few photos of me - I don't have the energy or will to make a more anonymous version, so I think my usual anonymity is going to have to waive a little on this one - that might be a good this.

Anyway, this was my 2017...

~ I attended a number of art workshops - found them challenging, but so glad I've managed to keep it up.

~ I decided to make contact with the police to find out about what the process of reporting historical sexual offences committed against me as a child would involve.

~ I was discharged from the ENT service after they got to the bottom of my ear/hearing problems.  Nothing very significant had been found - I have mild hearing loss due to my inner ear being damaged by repeated infections; I also have tinnitus, which I was advised to ignore - it felt like quite difficult advice to accept at the time, but I did employ a bit of mind over matter and my ears have not bothered me so much since.

~ Quite a few internal shifts occurred within my system - quite difficult to explain, but basically entailed a higher level of communication and integration through the sharing of memories - an awareness that was difficult and painful at times but probably needed, or for the best.

~ A student at work looked up my skirt, which rattled me, but I found the strength to rise above it.

~ I went for a short break to Aberdeen - it was beautiful and surpassed my expectations!

~ Throughout the year I had various meetings with the police about taking my case forwards - 
it all felt very new and terrifying, but something about it felt 'right' - like I was doing the right thing.

~ I began driving again after having my licence reinstated given that I had been seizure free for a year.

~ I applied to do a PhD in Theology and Religious Studies - I got into all three universities I applied to.  It then all rested on being awarded funding... In the end I won two funding competitions for studentships at King's College London - it meant a great deal that there were people out there who believed in my research project enough to invest money in it!

~ I finished processing one of my trauma memories through EMDR - it was what I considered to be the worst of my trauma memories.  Originally I didn't believe I would be able to do it, but I guess I found some belief along the way - it changed my life and mindset in ways that are probably not so obvious but very meaningful to me.

~ A part of me worried my therapist by climbing a high wall when she was upset at the end of the session - oops, but haven't done it since!

~ I had a lovely Easter mini break in London - it made me feel much more positive about the prospect of studying in London.

~ I faced a scary situation in which two parts of me became suicidal - it was partly a reliving experience of when I had been in crisis three years ago.  I survived, and we found peace with ourselves again.

~ I survived sepsis - that stands out as being a pretty significant event in my year!

~ I had a conversation with a student at work about rape in which I stayed present and connected.  Then I fell apart afterwards, but I decided that was okay - it was progress.

~ (I've been in two minds about writing this, but it was a significant event in my year...)
My best friend became pregnant, she gave birth to a gorgeous baby boy a couple of weeks ago.
Of course, I am pleased for her, happy, excited... but it stirred up some of my own issues - 
I've struggled to adjust, as I do with any change, more than I'd want to admit on here.

~ I talked to my therapist about my memory of the birth of my brother (I was present at his birth) - 
it was the first time I had told anyone about it in detail - it helped to put it into words out loud.

~ I nearly lost a student out a window at work!

~ I developed some additional PTSD symptoms around going to the doctors resulting from my experience of developing sepsis when I became very unwell in a doctor's surgery, but a lovely, patient GP helped me to overcome my anxieties.

~ I discovered that my mum had thrown away the majority of our family photos - it annoyed me to say the least, but as usual I expressed my anger quietly.

~ I saw the students whom I had started with leave the school - they will never know just how much they meant to me and how they were such a huge motivation for me to get better.

~ Then, I left my much adored job of five years - I don't cope with with 'leaving' well, but I knew it was the right time.

~ I entered one of my paintings in an art competition for the first time - I didn't get anywhere as far as I know, but that didn't matter to me.

~ I bid farewell (more like good riddance) to my CMHT.

~ With the help and support of my therapist and GP, I agreed to be tested for HIV as well as other 'unsavory infections' that I worried I may have contracted from being sexually abused as a child.
I can't explain my relief when I found out that I was not HIV positive - that's one thing off the list!

~ A part of me jumped out the window at therapy (ground floor ;) ) - oops!  But, it didn't have the disastrous consequences I might have worried about.

~ I saw my lovely little niece grow up - spending time with her always makes me so happy.  
I also gained a little nephew too!

~ I visited York and Scarborough - had been on my list for ages and didn't disappoint.

~ I moved out!

~ I started my PhD course at King's College London - there have been a lot of 'new things' to adjust to, and I'd like to say that I'm getting there, but maybe not quite yet.

~ I experienced a huge internal conflict in which a part of me became very annoyed with my therapist and distrustful of her - we resolved it.

~ Younger parts of me wanted my therapist to adopt them - they were very sad when they were told this wouldn't be possible.

~ I have a dissociative episode the first time I met my learning mentor and suddenly found myself in the Disney Store on Oxford Street :o  It was pretty frightening at the time, though I can also laugh about it.  My learning mentor has since become a great support to me.

~ I developed an intense resentment about the widespread misuse of the word 'literally', but my therapist suggested a coping strategy to manage it.

~ I went to the Harry Potter - A History of Magic exhibition at the British Library :)

~ I went ahead and did my video recorded interview with the police about the historical offences committed against me - it was probably the hardest experience of my life, though not the worst, obviously... The interview affected me hugely - I plan to write more about this in my next post.
This was probably the most significant event of my whole year.  Despite how the interview left me feeling, I don't regret it.

~ I had a pretty catastrophic first meeting with my assigned caseworker from Victim Support that resulted in me having to make a formal complaint to them - not something I ever expected to have to do!

~ I experienced my first Christmas following the processing of traumatic memory associated with Christmas - it has not resolved all my issues with this time of year, though I never expected it to.
It did however make a significant difference, and that counts for a lot - it gave me hope, and a bit of hope goes a long way at the moment.

That's all I want to share for now.
That was my 2017.
Hope yours was equally as eventful but in the most meaningful of ways.

Love and Strength,
The One Day Seeker

Comments

  1. A very happy new year to you onedayseeker, thank you for sharing all if your excellent posts and pictures. Bestest wishes to all of you for a lovely 2018 😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts