Planning a Mental Health Friendly Summer :)


This blog post has come a bit later than I expected; I just hope it hasn't come too late to be useful!
I am currently on my long 6 week summer break from work - what most people consider to be one of the main perks of having a job in a school!  However, as far as I'm concerned, I have always struggled with the sudden change in routine it inevitably entails.  
My therapist is also currently on leave, which I always struggle with and also means another part of my usual routine and support is also missing for the time being.  
(I have previously written a blog post about coping when your therapist is on leave that you may find useful if you are facing a similar situation -  I should probably go and read it again too!)  
I take such comfort in routine - it sort of forms the set pattern in which I manage my mental health.  When that routine and structure is suddenly gone, it can be easy to let things slip but, as ever, I try my best to prepare myself for every eventuality and so I take the time to plan my summer, creating for myself a bit of the structure I miss and crave.
Having a plan gives me options and I always find that feeling low and/or anxious but having options is better than having none at all!

I am going to share with you some of the things I considered when planning my summer in the hope that it may inspire others to do the same.  While I have specifically planned for the summer, I'm sure the same principles can be applied to any situation in which you find yourself at a bit of a loose end or with lots of spare time on your hands.

First of all, a bit about my plans for the summer:
I find that breaking down my plan into sections makes it more organised...

~ Things I need to get done - These are pretty mundane, boring tasks but at the same time. they really can't be avoided any longer.  For me, a lot of it will consist of finally getting around to changing some of my address and contact details since moving.  I try to keep this list to an absolute minimum so I don't feel bogged down and then balance it with more enjoyable activities!  
Summer should be all about having fun right?

~ PhD Plans - This section of my summer plan is very much personal to me but nonetheless it can be motivating to have some kind of project to set your mind to over the summer.  I am looking into applying for PhD courses.  It is a little far off from the time in which I will actually start the appilication process but having some time over the summer gives me the opportunity to look into what courses are around, read around my subject area and start to put together a research proposal. 
I much prefer preparing for these kind of things early so that I can read from cover to cover and at leisure, something which can be a bit of a rarity when working under pressure and within a tight time frame.  I'm hoping having this goal and working towards it will instill a much appreciated sense of structure and purpose into my summer.

~ Blogging Ideas - I suppose I see writing a blog as a bit of a project too.  Although it hasn't got off to a good start, I do plan to write more regular blog posts over the summer and have a few ideas on topics - your ideas and requests are always welcome too!  Hopefully I will deliver but I try not to put too much pressure on myself where blogging is concerned.  I honestly feel that it should be an enjoyable task and I would worry that if I pushed myself to write blog posts when not in the mood or feeling rushed, it would have an impact on the quality of the message I was trying to get across.

~ People I want to see/contact - This is probably the most helpful section to me!
When suffering from mental health problems it is very easy to feel isolated and alone.  
When I enter a bit of a difficult space, I often feel very alone or quite paranoid that the people who are around in my life either don't like me or are likely to leave me, when in reality, both are not the case at all.  Having a list of names of friends and family who I am in regular contact with, provides me with a bit of extra evidential proof that I am not alone and do have people in my life who care about me and who I care about too.  It can be especially important to have your list of contacts when your usual support is disrupted, be that because your therapist/counsellor is on leave or some of your friends and family are on holidays.  That's why it's important to try to keep your list as long as possible, so that if people are away and you are hitting difficulties, there are still people who you can talk to - you have options and you are not alone.

~ Places I want to visit - I find that one of the main things that improves my mental health is getting out and about, exploring pretty places, preferably photogenic ones!
Getting out the house and into the fresh air can work wonders for your overall wellbeing.  In fact, if I was a doctor, fresh air and sunshine would be the main medicine I'd prescribe!  Walking and visiting places builds my confidence, reminds me that I am engaging with life and the world around me and a change of scenery doesn't go a miss even through some of the difficult times.
It is important to keep your list of places varied, including both local places and those that are further afield.  I tend to include 'safe' go-to local places, as well as a few places that I have never been to before - reserved for when I'm feeling braver!
I doubt I will get round to visiting every single place I've listed during the summer holidays but I feel under no real pressure to do so, I can always put them by for another time.  
Lists can be flexible in this sense but I think it is more optimistic and motivational to keep them as extensive as possible - at least you will be spoilt for choice.  
Sometimes just having something tangible like a list of places can give you the extra motivation you need to get out the house and explore...

~ Things to do - As with listing places to visit, I advise to list as many things to do that you can possibly think of, then there's no chance you're going to be bored.  It's good to set a few activities aside for rainy days. Again, you don't have to do every activity you've listed.  
Even if you only do a few of the things on the list that is an achievement.  
In fact, just writing the list in the first place is an achievement!  
Generally, I tend to find more time for creative activities in the summer.  As I've said, my list reflects my personal interests - it may give you some ideas of things to do if you enjoy similar pursuits to me.  If not then make your own list filled with things you personally enjoy and that you wish you had more time for the rest of the year.  Having a list of activities can be a good distraction technique whenever you feel overwhelmed.  
As I have Dissociative Identity Disorder, when I come to make plans or decide what I want to do with my time, it doesn't always feel like one person deciding what she wants to do.  The different parts of my system who make me who I am, all have their own wants, needs and interests and so can have quite different ideas about how they want to spend time!  I have to take all their ideas and needs into account and make sure I dedicate some quality time to each part.  If you have DID, then the process of planning your summer or free time may involve the same.  I find it works best to try to think of activities or days out in which there is something for all parts - it encourages them to be around together and in a positive way.

Here are a few  little essentials that helped me to plan my summer...




As you all probably know, I absolutely love my colouring books - I find colouring so relaxing and it can be a great distraction.  I have a fair collection of colouring books already so I was reluctant to buy anymore but when I came across this 'Great British Landmarks' one in The Works at £2 I just couldn't resist!  What I like about this colouring book is that it encourages you to travel and visit all the must see British landmarks.  My plan is to colour a page every time I visit one of the landmarks included and have seen it in the real.  It would be amazing to have a full book!


The Book of Summer by Josie Curran.
To be honest, I only really bought this book because I thought the cover and illustrations were so pretty!  However, when I took the time to read through it, I discovered that it has so many ideas of things to do and see over the summer.  The activities are quite traditional and almost timeless - anything with a vintage vibe always appeals to me!  It even has a whole section dedicated to things to do on rainy days so if you are struggling for ideas, this is a good book to turn to.  
Once again, this was another of my finds in The Works and a bargain at £2!


This is my new diary - I always tend to get an academic mid-year diary as because of my job I seem to live by the school years.  I found this beautiful one coated in multicoloured flowers and bees in Tescos for £3, so very affordable.  This is where I tend to make more realistic plans for each week of my summer.  I will usually refer back to the original plan and pick a few things from the list to schedule in.  As someone who used to over schedule in the past, I tend to try to keep my schedule minimal.  Anything I do in addition to the things I originally listed, I will add on afterwards and tick off.
I think it is always important to recognise your achievements, no matter how small - ticking off can be great for that!



The relevance of these pencils to making summer plans - I'm not so sure, but I always jump at any excuse to buy some new stationery!  Plus I always associate stationery with getting organised so I suppose it does fit in with the theme of planning.  I grabbed up this set of pencils in Tiger for £2, I love the summery, pastel colours but I was also drawn to the little gold messages on the pencils, which suggest what you should use each pencil for.  They really inspire creativity!

I hope I have given you a few ideas about how you could go about planning your summer in a way that promotes your emotional wellbeing.
Remember that it is not always about the quantity - everything you do is an achievement; it also represents a moment, a memory, that will come to define your journey - so make it your own...

A little bit random but I shall leave you with a selection of my holiday photos.
If you follow my instagram then you will know that I went on a camping holiday to the
Norfolk Coast.
The scenery was absolutely beautiful and I actually coped with being away far better than I expected.
There were so many photo opportunities that I just have to share...

  

  




 

 






























I hope you enjoyed looking at these.
Have a wonderful summer...

Love and Strength,
The One Day Seeker

Comments

  1. Hi, thanks so much for your post. I've really enjoyed your beautiful photos of my part of the world and your summer plan is really helpful. Right now I'm going to find your advice for when a therapist and other important people go away, warm wishes, love and thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I am embarrassingly slow at reply to comments on here but I am always so grateful for your support. You really do live in such a beautiful part of the world, I hope you enjoyed a good summer too and that you found my other blog post helpful. Best wishes, as always xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts