Shoreham Airshow

It feels about time in my so-called blogging debut to attempt to write a more lighthearted post and prove to myself, if anyone, that my life really isn't all doom and gloom because that it most definitely isn't.  At the moment, I find that having days out to look forward to really helps to give me structure and keep focused so I thought it would be good and perhaps even entertaining to document them on here.

This weekend just passed, I went with my family on a day out to Shoreham Airshow.  I wouldn't say I'm exactly an aviation enthusiast, my stepdad could certainly wear that title.  I do have a certain appreciation for aircrafts though, well at least, enough to enjoy the day.  We set out fairly early in the day.  If I was to have gone under my own steam, I probably would have set out a bit later as it can feel like quite a long day when you are craning your neck to look at the sky the whole time.  I have been struggling a fair bit with my energy levels of late and so I ended up stylishly taking a much needed power nap in the car at the beginning of the day.  

I decided to only take photos on my mobile phone as I didn't have a suitable lens for my SLR camera but I was pleased with some of the shots I got. 

In the showground, as well as aircrafts, there was also a range of classic vehicles.  I am a bit of a lover of all things vintage and I was delighted to come across this gorgeous blue and white scooter.  It reminded me of the scooter that was featured in one of the Call The Midwife series.  I would be extremely terrified of riding one but I have to say, they do look very stylish!

There was a funfair at the Airshow.  I'm not usually a very big fan of rides as such but I always like to see the classic spinning teacups ride.  I've always thought that there something very quaint about them and I think watching the film Uptown Girls cemented my love for them.  If you haven't seen the film, I really recommend you do.  It features the late Brittany Murphy and it is one of the most heartwarming films I have ever watched.


               


These are some of my photos of the main display.  Being the odd-ball that I am, while everyone around me decided to stand in attempt to get the best view of the aircrafts, I decided to make a nest for myself and lie of the ground.  I think it gave me quite a unique perspective to spectate from and I got some interesting shots.  It was surprisingly relaxing, lying down and watching the sky being invaded by these great mechanical birds.

This is a photo of the Vulcan Bomber and it was by far my favourite aircraft of the day.  It had such an unusual shape and made a pretty impressive sound.  A lot of the aircrafts made quite a noise when flying low above the crowd and it really did add some excitement to the occasion. 

Many of the aircrafts that were used in the display later sat on the airfield for the public to take a closer look at.

I suppose what little interest I originally had in aviation has grown a little bit over time as during my work as a learning support assistant, one of the student's I supported is completely obsessed with all things aircraft.  I would pretend to be listening intently as he waffled on about hundreds of different types of aircrafts but in the end, I think a bit of his interest rubbed off on me.  He believed aircrafts to have different personalities!  He would look through photos of aeroplanes and would say to me, "Look! That's a cheeky one!"  It's funny though, the longer I looked at those photos with him, I began to understand what he meant and I confess, soon enough I found myself saying, "Oh, that's a cheeky one!"  Or perhaps that was a sign that I had already been in the job too long?

Nonetheless, a couple of months ago when I was unexpectedly admitted to hospital for inpatient treatment and was removed from everything that represented life as I knew it, I was grateful that the hospital I was placed in was under a flight path.  As I lay on my bed overwhelmed yet bewildered, it seemed to offer me some form of comfort or even hope to gaze out of my window and see the planes flying swiftly through the sky.  I'm aware I sound perculiarly nostalgic but it is strange how when removed from everything familiar, such simple things can become so important or even symbolic to a person.

After going off on a complete tangent, I'd just like to finish by saying that I had a pretty good day out at Shoreham Airshow and I would recommend it to others - aviation enthusiast or otherwise.

Comments

Popular Posts